Sunday, October 31, 2010

Anniversary/Birthday Dinner


Last night was my birthday and anniversary so my wife and I wanted to get all fancy pants.  We decided to go to a restaurant but we wanted to avoid falling into the trap of going to a usual easy place.  When you have four kids the oldest being five its easy to go on auto pilot sometimes.  We found a place called Courtrights. http://www.courtrights.com/09/main.html  Both of us had heard it was good, my wife found a good review from the Chicago Tribune.

The place was pretty cool.  It backed up to a wooded area so looking out the windows all you see is woods.  Supposedly its pretty common to see deer from your table.  If you read my last blog post you would know I was really wanting fish.  Lucky for me they had something I wanted, grilled sturgeon.  I hate when restaurants only offer salmon and no other fish dish.  I just cant get myself to order salmon in a restaurant.  Seems like a waste, its easy enough to make at home.

The appetizers were really good.  I had  warm brie & pistachios puff pastry with roasted pears and frisee salad.  It was beyond awesome, everything worked so well together.  My wife had snail cassolette with Prosciutto, Shallots, Fermented Black Garlic, Tarragon-Almond Butter.  She loved it.

For my main course I had grilled sturgeon with cauliflower parmesan compote, Dolmades of Arborio, grapes & black garlic, verjus sauce.  I really enjoyed this, I wanted fish and got exactly what I wanted.

My wife had butter poached lobster with vanilla black rice, sweet paprika pineapple-macadamia fricassee, Coconut Basil Sauce.  I think it would have been to sweet for me as a main course but my wife liked it so all is good!


Dessert was next and no I did not order multiple desserts.....I should have though.  My wife decided on a molten caramel chocolate cake with molasses gelato while I had anise poached pear, pecan & orange bottomless pie with Madagascar vanilla bean ice cream.

Everything was pretty damn good and it was nice to get out for a bit.  I love my kids to death but my sanity requires a few hours here and there without the craziness that is four kids that are five years old and under.  Now I can turn my attention fully to Halloween.

No comments:

Post a Comment