Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Why I think my house is haunted.

If you know me then a ghost story as my first blog entry doesn't come as a surprise, I have tons of them and I love telling them.  Its no secret that I think my house is haunted.  Whether you are family, friend or just follow me on twitter I'm pretty sure you've heard some story of unexplained ghost shenanigans in my house.  I've never really taken the time to try and piece together everything that has happened.  I've been told I need to write down all these little events so I have some record of whats gone on in my house.  The problem is after telling someone about footsteps in the hallway or keys and cell phones moving around its easy to laugh it off and go on with your day.  Truth is I don't really want it to be true.  Even now I have doubt because doubt is more comfortable than truly believing you have a ghost in your house.  So when I thought about entering the world of blogging, which scares me more than any ghost could, I knew exactly what I would write about first. 

A lot of times things in your life just start, you aren't sure exactly how or when but you have a general idea.  Thats how it is with "Becky."  We named our ghost Becky, actually my daughter named our ghost Becky but Ill get to that in a bit.  The first thing I can remember being a bit odd happened in July 09.  We had just come home from Wisconsin and my wife went out with some friends while I got the kids in bed.  While unpacking the suitcases in my family room I had this weird feeling I was being watched.  That alone meant nothing, everybody gets that creepy feeling from time to time.  What spooked me was I kept seeing the figure of a child out of the corner of my eye.  Id say it looked to be a girl about 8 years old.  I convinced myself that I was tired and shadows were just playing tricks on my eyes.

That night I woke up and heard a kid running and giggling.  I figured one of my girls got up and was playing in the loft.  It wasn't uncommon for my oldest, 5 years old, to get up in the middle of the night.  I got out of bed and went into the loft, it was empty.  I went into my girls room and both were sound asleep.  I figured I must have been dreaming so I went back to sleep.  The next morning I told my wife what happened.  She thought I was screwing around with her and didn't believe me.  After she realized I was serious she told me that she also woke up to what she said was "little feet" running in the loft and heard a very soft "mommy."  My wife went into the loft and girls room to find exactly what I found, nothing.  I continued to hear this running sound off and on for the next 8 months. 

About three weeks later we were all eating McDonalds around our table.  I leaned the happy meal toys against a lamp next to the table.  A bit later my oldest noticed the toys were gone.  I found the toys placed the same way I put them but on the opposite side of the lamp.  Trust me when I say there is no way these things could have moved there on their own.  I still have no clue how that happened.

A couple weeks later at the dinner table we got the name Becky.  My wife was talking about her friend Becky.  My oldest daughter cut her off and announced that she had a friend named Becky too.  I asked her if that was a school friend.  She said "No, Becky doesn't go to school.  Becky comes into my room at night and likes to play with my Teddy Bears.  Becky is dead but don't worry because during the day she goes to heaven and it doesn't hurt."  Yeah, that's what she said.  When a 5 year old says that completely deadpan, it sends shivers through you.  
 
Other stuff has happened on a semi regular basis over the last year and a half.  There are times when nothing happens for months and there are times when lots happen all at once.  I'll hear a voice from time to time in my computer room.  The light bulb in that room seems to blow out quite a bit.  Ive had my shoe laces tied together a couple of times and I mean intricate knots.  My phone goes missing and turns up in weird places.  I get the feeling I can be a bit of a target.  I'm sure there is tons more but I just cant remember everything. What I've noticed so far is that I get messed with more than anybody else in the house.  It seems that most of the activity happens in the loft/bedroom area of our house.  I cant figure out why that is.  That's pretty much it so far, I'm sure Ill keep updating whoever reads this blog when new things happen. Id love to hear if anybodys had similar experiences.

2 comments:

  1. Got one in my house too. Nothing major, but he likes to start coming down the stairs as my wife starts going up. Every time it happens, she hears him coming, turns right around and either sits on the couch to wait out his energy burst. He stops after a couple of times up and down.

    Although I hear him several times a week, either on the stairs or in our bathroom when we're downstairs underneath it (he likes it in there for some reason), I have never seen him. My wife has, once. I was out of town on a trip, and she was napping on the bed. She woke up, looked at the chair I sit in, and at first thought I had come home. Yep, he was sitting there. She closed her eyes and pretended to be asleep until he left.

    I don't think he means us any harm, and he's more mischievous than anything else (he's a real pain with the thermostat some nights).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very Cool. Mine comes and goes, its been months since anythings happened. When active mostly moves stuff around, ties my shoe laces together and stuff like that. I've had experiences my whole life, I think I'm just more open to it. I think my oldest daughter might be the same way. Kinda runs in my family. I find as I get older I have fewer and fewer experiences/feelings.

    ReplyDelete