Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Halloween was better when I was a kid

Bravo Mayor Mark Eckhert of Belleville, Illinois.  You have decided that nobody in your town over 12 years old can trick-or-treat.  http://shine.yahoo.com/event/momentsofmotherhood/how-old-is-too-old-for-trick-or-treating-2403664/  Why? Of course because nobody wants six foot tall kids coming to their door for candy.

According to this Mayor he gets tons of complaints from senior citizens.  Uh, I'm pretty sure they would have been scared of something anyway.  Nobody says they have to answer the door, it's their choice. He also gets complaints from single mothers.  So does that mean teenagers wanting candy scare single mothers more than single women? And how many six foot tall teenagers are there in this town?  I know it's not impossible but last time I dropped my daughter off at school the 8th graders were standing there and they all looked pretty short to me.  What does this say to those six foot tall 13 year olds?  It's like saying "Hey Freak, yeah you stretch, because you are such a freak and grew too tall nobody your age can trick-or-treat.  Oh by the way freak, you scare old people and moms.  Thanks a lot asshole."  This town needs to remember these are still kids.     It's all excuses so towns can put more limits on Halloween.

What's really happening is people just don't like Halloween anymore.  I swear it's like this country is becoming a huge population of downers.  Nobody wants to buy candy, nobody wants their doorbell ringing, blah blah blah.  It's Halloween, a holiday meant for kids.  I'm sorry but I still believe a 13 year old is a kid and shouldn't be banned from the candy.  I know when I was 13 I still liked the idea of free candy.  It pains me to see the curfews for trick-or-treating.  My town has decided that kids can trick-or-treat between 2:00pm and 6:00pm.  What the hell?  Only four hours on a Sunday?  When I was a kid a Saturday or Sunday Halloween meant we would be out all day.

I hope next time someone like Mayor Mark Eckhert utters the words "Kids grow up too quick nowadays" there is a person there to point out his contribution, by limiting the age of trick-or-treating, to the end of at least one childhood tradition. Well enough with my rant, time to go buy some Halloween candy.

No comments:

Post a Comment