Saturday, September 3, 2011

Rainy Zoo Day

Yes, I looked at the radar. I'd been watching it all morning. Sure there was rain coming but it really looked like it was extremely slow moving. I swear the storms stayed on the Iowa/Illinois border for two hours. So I made the call. I packed the kids up and went to the zoo and everything was great.....for a bit.

Yes, the zoo. Much fun was had. Love the zoo, so do the kids. Quite the adventure today so lets get to it.
I got to the zoo expecting it to be super crowded but to my surprise it was empty. A ghost town. Maybe people stayed away because of the threat of rain. Fools! Fools I tell ya.


So we started to walk....well Me and Olivia, that cutie above, started to walk. The rest of the gang went the wagon way.


We didn't have a specific destination. Walked in a direction and what we found, we found. What we came across first was this fun lion. The kids wanted pictures with it.


After that we found the big cats. Ohhhh, exciting!





 Then we had to stop at a fountain to check out the map.


 Getting a chance to really study the map made us realize it was lunch time.



 A closer look at the map revealed it was also ice cream time.



And then I looked up.


And then this.




So we were already wet and the kids really wanted to see the penguins so that's what we did. As most people were running for the exits, we made our way to The Living Coast. That's where the penguins are. There's a bunch of neat stuff there.




After that we left. The thunder and lightning was getting strong and I knew there were more storms coming. I wasn't let down either. The storms did roll through for the rest of the day.



2 comments:

  1. Looks like an amazing day spent with the kids!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was. I really think they will remember that zoo visit more than any random day at the zoo. Even though it rained, it was like an adventure. The girls said it was a rain forest adventure.

    ReplyDelete