Thursday, May 12, 2011

Goodbye Destiny

I did it.  I said goodbye to Stargate Universe.  I sat down last night and watched the final episode of SGU.  I knew it was coming but I didn't want to think about it.  I've been dreading this episode for about a month so it took me a couple nights before I watched it.

I loved this show.  For me, SGU was exactly what I want out of Sci-Fi.  There was a good mix of drama and humor.  The show started slow, I understand that but I stuck with it because I saw potential.  Sure enough, after episode three I was hooked.  The story started to take shape and you saw glimpses of what they could do with this show and it would have been great if it had been given more time.  The characters started developing and I was connected to them.  They weren't one dimensional like so much of Sci-Fi can be.  As the story progressed you saw characters start to change and it made sense.  Every week I wanted to know what happened next.  SGU was a series meant for the long haul, it needed time for its story to be told.  The writers didn't rush through character development and that was one of the great aspects of the show. 

Good Sci-Fi doesn't come around much anymore and when it does it rarely survives a year or two.  Good Sci-Fi needs time, it needs someone in its corner letting it reach its potential.  Unfortunately that place is not Syfy anymore.  I'm not really sure where that place is now, BBC maybe?  I do know that I'm going to miss SGU.  I do know that I will not watch Syfy anymore.  I do know that I'm gonna have my heart broken again by the next Sci-Fi show that gets cancelled before its time.

So Goodbye Stargate, Goodbye Stargate Universe, Goodbye Destiny.  I hope to see you all again someday and I hope that Eli Wallace finds a way to fix that stasis chamber.

No comments:

Post a Comment