Thursday, May 19, 2011

On to Florence!

Florence, Italy was the next stop. 







We spend a couple days in Nice getting used to the time change and transitioning into vacation mode.  So when we got to Florence we were ready to get out and really see what the city had to offer.  We knew we had to go to the Uffizi Gallery, see Michelangelo's David and get some gelato.  We also wanted to just walk around and get a feel for the city.

Here are some pictures from our wanderings. 
Palazzo Vecchio

Fountain of Neptune
Palazzo Vecchio

                                                                                                         The Palazzo della Signoria


One of the best parts of Florence for us was the Uffizi Gallery.  We spend almost an entire day at the gallery and saw pretty much everything.

These statues lined the outside of the Uffizi gallery.

Here is some of the great paintings we saw in the Uffizi gallery.  Sorry, no pictures were allowed inside so these aren't actual pictures.  But its still fun to show you what we saw.
Seeing this made my wife cry, I'm not kidding.  I think she never thought she would see it in person.



 











Ok, so these drinks are crazy big.  I have no clue why they gave them to us other than they thought we as Americans had drinks this big all the time.  I did make friends with the birds, that's my little friend down there.  I called him Sir BirdyMcBirdson.  He loved me and I loved him.

The Duomo
The Basilica di Santa Maria del Fiore or you can call it The Duomo. Built in 1296, finished in 1436.  After a  little research and I found out that The Basilica is one of Italy's largest churches.  It remains the largest brick dome ever constructed.  It was absolutely beautiful inside and out.  I didn't take many pictures on the inside.  You couldn't use the flash and sometimes you just have to put the camera down and enjoy where you are.









So that's a little glimpse of our time in Florence.  I hope you enjoyed the pics as much as I have.  I've forgotten so much of the cool stuff we saw on this trip.  Its nice to take a moment and remember.
Tomorrow, back to Nice!

No comments:

Post a Comment