Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Paczki Day! - Picture of the Day - March 8th

Hey Hey, Its Paczki Day!  Yup, another Fat Tuesday, another Packzi Day.  Those of you non-Polish, non-Midwesterners might be wondering, whats Packzi Day?  Well,  In Poland, Paczki are eaten on fat Thursday, the last Thursday before Lent. Many Poles in the Chicago/Midwest celebrate Paczki Day on Fat Tuesday, the day before Ash Wednesday. I think the roots of Paczki day have to do with using all the good stuff you weren't allowed to eat during lent.  So, paczki were made to get rid of excess sugar, butter and stuff like that in the house.  Chicago has a ton of Poles, I mean a ton.  I believe we have the second largest population of Poles in one city.  That means Chicago has more Poles than all but one city in Poland! Crazy, isn't it?  So Paczki Day is a big deal in Chicago.

I got up this morning at 5:20 and was at the bakery by 5:30.....yes, a.m.  When I got there I took a ticket, number 96.  I looked up, hey they were calling number......57.  Uggggh, I got out of there at 6:20.  Not to worry though, I had pre-ordered my Paczki so I left with goodness in hand.  Don't let the pictures fool you, these are not jelly doughnuts.  They are prepared differently and taste so much better.  They are light, wonderful and have a smell and taste that is all their own.



Oh yeah, one thing.  There are many Paczki imposters.  Every bakery wants to make a buck on Paczki Day and try to pass off jelly doughnuts as Paczki.  For shame, for shame.  This turd below came from Orland Bakery in Orland Park, IL.  Someone brought them in at work.  I took one bite and threw it away.  Screw you Orland Bakery for the damage you are doing to the Paczki name. 

This sad little piece of shit wants to be a Paczki but it's not, no it's just a sad jelly doughnut pretended to be a Paczki.

No comments:

Post a Comment