Monday, March 28, 2011

Rubber Chickens! - Picture of the Day - March 28th

So I heard a bit of news today that's absolutley wonderful.  Svengoolie is going national! http://feder.blogs.chicago.timeout.com/ 

What is Svengoolie?
Svengoolie is a local Chicago TV show featuring often low-budget horror or science fiction movies.  The show is hosted by Svengoolie, Rich Koz. Usually before and after commericals Svengoolie does various sketches, song parodies or tells really bad jokes.  Svengoolie would talk over the movie adding funny comments here and there during the film, very similar to what MST3K would eventually do.  Some people complained and now Svengoolie only spoofs a clip segment after the film is over.

There are two long running jokes on the show.  The first is often used word "Berwyn", the name of a Chicago suburb.  When said it's pronounced Beeeeeeerwyn. I didn't know the origins of this joke so I had to look it up.  Apparently it's a parody of the way "Rowan & Martin's Laugh-In" and Johnny Carson would jokingly refer to "Beautiful Downtown Burbank."  Another long running joke involves throwing  rubber chickens at Svengoolie.  This usually happens after a cheesy joke and at the end of the closing sketch of each episode which has Svengoolie closing his coffin while rubber chickens are flung his way.

Yup, I really do have my own chicken.






















I love Svengoolie, I always have.  I guess my love of low budget horror/scifi started early.  I grew up watching his show every Friday night.  I don't remember the order they came on but if it was Friday I knew I'd be watching Elvira and Svengoolie.  So check your local listing because Svengoolie is going to be on your TV on Saturday nights soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment